We still need volunteers! Volunteers provide essential support during the event by ensuring that visitors are properly greeted and informed.
Volunteer Greeters can be found stationed at the entrance to all sites controlling admission, answering questions and tracking visitor attendance. Greeters typically work one 4-hour shift, which leaves plenty of time to explore the city for the remainder of the weekend.
As a Volunteer you will
- New Volunteers: Attend an orientation session to prepare you for your volunteer experience (see details below)
- Work one or more 4-hour shifts at one of 171 buildings in the morning or afternoon
For New Volunteers: Volunteer orientation sessions will be offered the mornings of Doors Open, Sept 22 and 23, at 9 am, at the Doors Open HQ: 235 E Michigan St.
At the orientation sessions you will:
- Understand what is expected of you as a Doors Open Volunteer and ask questions about the volunteer experience
- Pick up the Doors Open Volunteer badge that identifies you as an official Doors Open Volunteer and grants you front-of-the-line access at participating sites
- Greet visitors at a building site entrance and briefly tell them what to expect at that particular site
- Track visitor attendance
- Distribute event program guides
- Stamp children’s building passports
- Ask visitors to sign-up for Historic Milwaukee Inc.’s mailing list
- Solicit donations to maintain Doors Open as a FREE event
- Work with buildings owners and managers to ensure that visitors follow any necessary building requirements
- The opportunity to meet other architecture and history enthusiasts!
- Volunteer badge to cut to the front of line at any participating weekend sites
- 50% off membership to Historic Milwaukee for new members
- 10% off at the Historic Milwaukee Gift Shop (expires October 31)
- 10% off Doors Open T-Shirts and Pins
Please contact Doors Open Milwaukee Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com or call Historic Milwaukee at 414-277-7795.