The Kilbourn Avenue Bascule Bridge is significant as Milwaukee’s most architecturally prominent bridge. In Milwaukee’s past, economy and utility had been paramount in bridge design until the administration of Mayor David Rose, the first official known to make a plea for bridge aesthetics. The Kilbourn Avenue Bascule Bridge was constructed in 1929 to serve as a visual link in the newly adopted Civic Center plan, bridging the way between the Old World character of City Hall and the new Classical Revival Milwaukee County Courthouse. The Kilbourn Avenue Bascule Bridge was rehabilitated in 2009.
See how a bridge works from the bridge operator’s perspective. There will be 2-3 openings per hour during the event.