The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist is the Mother Church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee. The cornerstone was laid in 1847 and the original building was completed by 1853. After a devastating fire in 1936, the building was expanded and rebuilt by 1943. The exterior, including the prominent bell tower, has changed little over this time while the interior was renovated and rededicated in 2002. The Cathedral is designated as a Milwaukee landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Visitors to the Cathedral are invited to spend time in a beautiful, tranquil sacred space. The Cathedral’s crypt ( the burial location of some of Milwaukee Archbishops) is open and guides are present to describe original works of religious art located in the Cathedral as well as the religious significance of this beautiful building. The attached Prayer Garden is also open.