Casa Romero, built in 1888 by Schnetzky and Liebert, was used by the School Sisters of Notre Dame (teachers at Holy Trinity School and later at Bruce-Guadalupe Community School) for over 100 years. The house was constructed of cream city brick, according to the style of the times, with the kitchen and dining room in the basement. Original tin ceilings adorn several rooms and the original wooden banister graces two floors.
In the late 1990s, Fr. David Shields had the idea of transforming this old house into an urban retreat center. The vision caught fire and today, Casa Romero is an urban, multicultural, bilingual spirituality center that serves nearly 3000 people a year. The mission of Casa Romero Renewal Center is to integrate faith and justice for youth and adults, strengthen families, and build community. Visitors will have the opportunity to enjoy self-guided tours, guided tours, and exhibits. Come and see what makes Casa Romero “tick.”