Volunteers provide essential support during the event by ensuring that visitors are properly greeted and informed.
Volunteer Greeters can be found stationed at the entrance to all sites controlling admission, answering questions and tracking visitor attendance. Greeters typically work one 4-hour shift, which leaves plenty of time to explore the city for the remainder of the weekend.
As a Volunteer you will
- Attend an orientation session to prepare you for your volunteer experience (see details below)
- Work one or more 4-hour shifts at one of over a hundred and fifty buildings, from either 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM, or 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM
Orientation sessions will be held on the mornings of Doors Open, Sept 23 and 24, at 9 am, at the Doors Open HQ: 235 E Michigan St.
At the orientation sessions you will:
- Hear more about DOORS OPEN Milwaukee and meet other volunteers and DOORS OPEN staff
- Learn what is new for DOORS OPEN Milwaukee in 2017
- Understand what is expected of you as a DOORS OPEN Volunteer and ask questions about the volunteer experience
- Pick up the DOORS OPEN Volunteer badge that identifies you as an official DOORS OPEN Volunteer and grants you front-of-the-line access at participating sites
- Greet visitors at a building site entrance and briefly tell them what to expect at that particular site
- Track visitor attendance
- Distribute event program guides
- Stamp children’s building passports
- Ask visitors to sign-up for Historic Milwaukee Inc.’s mailing list
- Solicit donations to maintain DOORS OPEN as a FREE event
- Work with buildings owners and managers to ensure that visitors follow any necessary building requirements
- The opportunity to meet others who share your interest in architecture, design, history, and Milwaukee’s built environment
- The ability for you and a guest to advance to the front of the line at any participating weekend site with your Volunteer badge
Please contact Jocelyn, the DOORS OPEN Milwaukee Volunteer Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Historic Milwaukee at 414-277-7795