BUILDINGS

Doors Open Milwaukee is a two-day public celebration of Milwaukee’s art, architecture, culture and history. This event offers behind the scenes tours of more than 150 buildings throughout Milwaukee’s downtown and neighborhoods and 40+ ticketed tours led by community leaders.

This site will be updated leading up to the event with participating building details.

How it works

  • Use the filter below to build your own itinerary.
  • No tickets necessary.
  • Start when and where you like.
  • Visits to any of the buildings and sites below are free of charge.
  • Free guided tours are often available.
  • Please click on the sites below to view extended details.
  • Note: Like all sites, museums are free, unless otherwise described.

Hours

Please note that not all buildings are open for the entire Doors Open event (Saturday and Sunday, September 22 and 23, 10 am to 5 pm). Please confirm the hours in the building listing before you visit.

SEARCH BY FILTER CRITERIA

Search Buildings by Name or Keyword
Accessibility
Photography
Area of Interest
Time
Date
Spotlight Neighborhoods
Region
  • MSOE Grohmann Museum

    The museum was built in 1924 as a Cadillac dealership and later used (1970s-1990s) as the Milwaukee branch of the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank. Purchased by Dr. Eckhart Grohmann as a gift to MSOE in 2005, the building was renovated and opened as the Grohmann Museum in 2007. Visitors are invited to browse the Man at Work Collection, which comprises more than 1,300 paintings and sculptures dating from 1580 to the present.

    1000 N. Broadway
  • Neuhaus Pianos

    Neuhaus Pianos is Southeastern Wisconsin’s oldest family owned piano shop and store. They will be demonstrating these machines as well as showing the process of what it takes to rebuild them.

    8111 W. Greenfield Ave, West Allis, WI, 53214
  • North Milwaukee Arthaus

    The North Milwaukee Village Hall and Fire Station was built in 1900 as an all-in-one municipal building for the growing industrial community of North Milwaukee. Quasimondo Physical Theatre is transforming the former North Milwaukee Village Hall and Fire Station into a center for arts and education; the North Milwaukee Arthaus. Join us for guided tours (10am, 12noon, 2pm, 4pm) to discover intriguing local history and get an insider’s scoop on our plans to make Old North Milwaukee a destination for the performing arts!

    5151 N 35th St
  • Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons

    Tour the new Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons measuring 550 feet and 32-stories. The Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons is considered Milwaukee’s first significant building of the 21st century and a reflection of the city surrounding it. The massive project, containing 1.1 million square feet in total area, has made this building the largest volume of space under one roof in the entire state.

    805 E. Mason Street
  • Nostalgia Home Decor

    The building was constructed in 1902 of Cream City Brick with ornamental wood trim. It is listed with the Wisconsin Historical Society as a historical landmark. Nostalgia Home Decor carries obscure and amazing mid-century modern pieces and kitschy accessories like vintage ceramic lamps, and electric fireplaces that you will likely not find in other vintage shops in the city. But that’s not all. Nostalgia Home Decor is a free-flow art space as well, offering makerspace workshops in textile arts, succulent terrariums, knitting classes, and even poetry. Stop in to experience the space for yourself and meet the awesome owners of Nostalgia Home Decor, Georgette Muilenburg and William Bachle.

    1821 N Doctor Martin Luther King Drive
  • Oak Creek City Hall

    Drexel Town Square was Delphi Corporation. Now it’s the Oak Creek City Hall, Library, and ‘down town’ of the city. Come tour through City Hall and the Oak Creek Public Library, which are the same building.

    8040 S. 6th ST.
  • Oak Creek Historical Society

    The Oak Creek Historical Societies museum complex is a collection of 5 historic building that were all moved to the site. The buildings include a Log Cabin, Blacksmith Shop, Farm Shed, Summer Kitchen, and Oak Creek’s Town Hall from 1874.

    Corner of 15th and Forest Hill Ave Oak Creek, WI 53154
  • Oriental Theater

    Get a chance to roam the theater while the lights are on, get a chance to sit in the balcony, and maybe even catch a glance at the projection equipment.

    2230 N. Farwell Ave, Milwaukee, WI, 53202
  • Orlandini Studios

    The ornamental plaster studio shop was originally built 1876. Matt and Julian Orlandini purchased the property in August of 1964 as a duplex. The original shop was located on 5th and Scott St. Upon purchase, Julian immediately set about the task of gutting the building, jacking it up, putting in a new foundation and building the shop onto the back of the existing building. Orlandini has been open and doing business since August of 1965.

    633 W. Virginia Street
  • Our Savior’s Lutheran Church

    Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, founded by Norwegian immigrants on Milwaukee’s southside in 1858, built the present building on the site of the Todd Wehr Estate in 1954. Before entering the Wisconsin Avenue doors, look up to the 15′ “The Inviting Christ” statue and notice the solar panels (2.24 kw) that were installed in 2008. The History Room and Chapel are open for visitors. Your guides are eager to share about the mission and ministries of the congregation.

    3022 W. Wisconsin Avenue