Golda Meir School was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Milwaukee architect H.C. Koch & Company in 1889. The building was originally named the Fourth Street School and opened for use for the first time on September 2, 1890.
The Golda Meir School is an excellent example of H.C. Koch’s Romanesque Revival style typical of his City Hall (1895), Pfister Hotel (1893) and Turner Hall (1883). The school shares characteristics with his other Romanesque buildings: broad gables, prominent chimneys, large expanses of glass and arches that span more than one story. This building is perhaps the best among the last of the Romanesque Schools designed in the City.
The school’s most famous alumnus is Golda Meir, former Prime Minister of Israel, who attended the school from 1906 to 1912. Milwaukee was Mrs. Meir’s primary place of residence before immigrating to Israel. The school is the only significant building remaining in Milwaukee associated with her life.
Visitors will have the opportunity to see this historic building that was once the educational institution attended by Golda Meir – Prime Minister of Israel. Memorabilia highlighting the life of Golda Meir can be found throughout the school building. Antique furniture, along with other originial woodwork artifacts, can also be observed throughout the building.